Topic “Flowers” often appears in IELTS Speaking Part 1. This is not a tough topic, but to be able to answer this part correctly, you need a good vocabulary and the ability to develop natural ideas.
IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Flowers
Questions and Answers
1. What kinds of flowers do you know?
2. Are there any flowers that have special meanings in Vietnam?
I know all the basic types of flowers. So I know about roses, lilies, sunflowers, daisies, and tulips .I think they all have special meanings, but people are probably the most familiar with roses. Red roses in particular usually symbolize romantic love. But yellow roses can symbolize friendship. The meaning of a flower depends on the type and colour.
3. Have you planted any flowers?
Yes, I plant flowers in the spring. I have to admit that I don’t have a green thumb. Sometimes I don’t take good care of my flowers and they end up dying in a couple weeks. But I still love planting them. They look so beautiful when they’re in bloom.
4. Have you sent flowers to others?
Yes, sometimes I buy flowers. Flowers are nice to buy for yourself or as a special gift for a family member or friend. The last time I bought flowers was last month when I ordered some flowers form my sister to celebrate her new job. I bought her a really colourful flower arrangement and sent it to her house.
Some IELTS Speaking part 1 topics you may like:
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Special costumes – Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Public gardens and parks – Free Lesson
- (Reliable 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Picnic
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic New Year celebrations
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic TV program – Free Lesson
5. Do you like flowers? (Why?)
Yes, flowers give me a lot of pleasure, especially bright colored ones. I love the way various types of flowers harmonize with each other in a garden or in florist shops, creating a beautiful picture. Every time I admire a gorgeous bunch of flowers, I feel relaxed, and optimistic.
6. Which/What is your favorite flower?
I’m really keen on colorful flowers and sunflowers are definitely my favorite flower due to their symbolic meaning. This flower represents the flexibility to overcome obstacles, happiness and good luck.
7. Do you think flowers are important?
Personally, I think flowers play an important role in our lives. They make people feel positive, energetic and they lift our spirits. Without gorgeous and colorful flowers, the world seems to be dark and boring, and that causes people to feel, depressed and lacking in inspiration.
8. Are flowers important in your culture?
Of course, besides representing beauty, some flowers also show our Vietnamese people’s key virtues. For instance, the Lotus was chosen to be our national flower due to its beauty and its representation of the virtues of the Vietnamese people namely purity, and faithfulness.
9. Do people in your country ever use flowers for special occasions?
Yes. Flowers are widely used on special occasions in my country such as birthday parties, weddings and graduation days in order to show the respect of senders to receivers.
10. What are the occasions when people give or receive flowers?
There is a wide range of reasons for people to send or receive flowers. One of the most popular occasions is a birthday party. Colorful flowers will always brighten up that special day. Another occasion which would not be complete without flowers is graduation day, when flowers are used as congratulation gifts.
11. In your country, do people (ever) give flowers as a gift?
Yes, they do. Generally speaking, Vietnamese people tend to give flowers as a gift on some occasions like graduation day, a birthday party, international women’s day and many other celebrations.
1. Bright colored flowers (noun phrase): flowers which have bright colors such as yellow, red or orange.
Ex: Bright colored flowers make our gardens cheerful and beautiful.
2. Harmonize (verb): harmonize (with something) if two or more things harmonize with each other or one thing harmonizes with the other, the things go well together and produce an attractive result
Ex: The new building does not harmonize with its surroundings.
3. Florist shop: a shop which sells flowers
Ex: I saw some beautiful roses in the florist shop near the bus station.
4. Bunch of flowers (noun phrase):a group of cut flo hold together or that someone has tied together.
Ex: He was given a bunch of flowers as a graduation gift.
5. Optimistic (adjective): expecting good things to happen or something to be successful; showing this feeling
Ex: They are cautiously optimistic that the reforms will take place.
6. Be keen on (phrasal verb): be something
Ex: He’s mad keen on planes as he always keeps searching for information about very interested in how to make his own airplane.
7. Symbolic (adjective): representing something else
Ex: The skull at the bottom of the picture is symbolic of death.
8. Represent (verb): to be a symbol of something
Ex: Each color on the chart represents a different department.
9. Overcome (verb): to succeed in dealing with or controlling a problem that has been preventing you from achieving something
Ex: The two parties managed to overcome their differences on the issue.
10. Play an important role: (expression) be an important part of something
Ex: Computers play an increasingly important role in education.
11. Lift our spirits (expression): make us feel happier
Ex: After the long walk, a hot shower and a tasty meal lifted our spirits.
12. Depressed (adjective): very sad and without hope
Ex: When he failed his exams, he felt very depressed about his future.
13. Inspiration (noun): something that makes you have new ideas or make you feel creative.
Ex: Her new novel is lacking in inspiration – she has no exciting new ideas.
14 Virtues (noun): good qualities or characteristics
Ex: Patience is one of her virtues – she never gets angry when she has to wait.
15. Purity (noun): the state of being morally good
Ex: The Buddha was famous as an example of spiritual purity.
16. Brighten up (phrasal verb): make something become more pleasant and enjoyable
Ex: Your invitation to the party really brightened up my day.
17. Congratulation (noun): the act of telling somebody that you are happy about their good luck or success
Ex: After I graduated from university, I received a new laptop as a congratulation gift from my parents.
You can find out more information about IELTS Speaking Part 1 at the British Council website: