QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. How do you celebrate New Year?
On this special occasion, because I live far from my home, when New Year comes, I will go back to my hometown and spend the holiday with my family. My mother and I prepare a lot of food and decorations for this occasion, like nuts(candied fruits and jams), traditional cakes, and fresh fruit and flowers. For me, New Year means a lot in that it is not only the time for gathering and relaxing but also represents the start of the new year.
2. Do you still remember a new year that you celebrated?
Yes. I remember last year, my family and I, as is family tradition, spent New Year’s Eve at home. We don’t go out to party, to a concert or spend it in another house. We believe that we all have to stick together in our own home as the new year rolls in as it signifies unity.
3. Why do people think New Year is a new beginning?
I think people regard New Year as a new beginning because this is an occasion for people to remember last year’s achievements and failures and look forward to the promise of a new year – a new beginning. On New Year’s Day,when the singing, fireworks and champagne toasts are over, many of us become more serious about life; then we start planning new courses of action to better our lives. You know, sometimes, people want to enjoy the sense of purpose,accomplishment and pleasure that one feel when achieving new goals.
1. Accomplishment (n) an impressive thing that is done or achieved after a lot of work
It was one of the President’s greatest accomplishments.
2. Toasts (n) slices of bread that have been made brown and dry by heating them on both sides in a toaster or under agrill
cheese on toast